Thursday, August 23, 2012

Winter Seed Sowing

Columbine
Late last winter/early spring I realized there would not be enough space in the greenhouse to start seedlings for a perennial garden I wanted to plant this spring. A coworker mentioned something about Winter Sowing seeds.  I did a little research and found that it was the perfect time to get my seeds started.  These two websites helped get me going as to where to begin and what seeds would tolerate a winter sowing situation.

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2011/11/winter-sowing-101-6/
http://www.wintersown.org/

Making the containers to sow the seeds was pretty easy.  We had a massive collection of used milk jugs from our maple syrup operation.  I only used the clear ones with caps.  Any clear container with a cap will work for this project. That's all you have to do is:
Sunny side of the house

1.  Poke 3-5 drainage holes on the bottom of the milk jug 
2.  Cut the milk jug in half, leaving the handle as a hinge
3.  Use a single hand held paper hole punch to make holes to twist tie the top and
     bottom of the jug together (optional, you can just use tape if you want)
4.  Place a seed starting soil in the bottom portion of the jug and dampen the soil
5.  Plant your seeds and cover with a light layer of soil, press down to make good
     soil and seed contact. Label the container with a Sharpie or a paint pen.
6.  Gently water the soil if it's still a bit dry
7.  Use twist ties, or tape to be easy, to secure the top and bottom portions of the
     container.  Keep it closed until the weather warms.
8.  Once the snow melts, every so often, check to see if they need water. I watered
     them by taking the cap off and gently sprinkling water in the cap hole.  The soil
     dries up fast so try to keep and eye on them. If it gets too warm, open the containers so you do not cook
     your seedlings.
Foxglove
After my research, I decided to plant Butterfly Weed, Bachelor Buttons, Aubrieta, Columbine, Poppy, Money Plant, Bee Balm, Hollyhock, Shasta Daisy, Foxglove, Holly, Lavender, Moss Rose, Common Chives and Garlic Chives.  I planted these seeds March 1st and more on March 11th. I have seen on other websites that some people start as soon as December and January.  This year, I did not have success with Butterfly Weed, Poppy, Bee Balm or Holly.  Everything else did great and was ready to plant in June. It's now August and my Perennial Garden is thriving! We'll see what makes it through the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment